Sunday, December 11, 2016

Graham Cracker Gingerbread House-


 
 

If you're looking for a way to make cute gingerbread houses QUICK, this is your lucky day!
These guys can take less than 10 minutes if you're in a hurry, and are a great alternative to your standard gingerbread houses when you need to make several in a pinch.

I came across the idea for these easy gingerbread houses when my 14 year old, Kati asked if all 7 of her friends could make gingerbread houses at her birthday party- 5 days away!!
My first thought was, "oh my gosh, I should've started baking like a week ago!!"
My second thought was, "how much will 8 gingerbread houses cost?"

Fast forward-
These graham cracker houses were a hit at the party, so I decided to let Kati show you guys how incredibly easy it is... Have fun!!

Set up your supplies:

Graham Crackers- they even make Gingerbread flavored grams now, so-score!

Store bought icing- I'd usually make a batch of royal icing for my gingerbread houses, but in a pinch this store bought icing in a can works great too.

Candy- keep in mind that these houses are on the smaller size, so you might want to scale down the size of your candy as well.

A cake plate, or something flat to use as a base for your house.

A spatula, or dull knife to apply the icing

a serrated knife for cutting the grahams.


 Cut 2 of your grahams into a point with your serrated knife. These will be the front and the back of the house. You'll need 4 full sized grahams for the 2 sides of the house and the roof.
 


Once you cut the first graham you can place it on the other graham you need to cut, as a guide. You want them to have the same angled cuts, so the roof sits evenly on top.


This is the icing we used. It doesn't get rock hard, like royal icing does, but does firm up after an hour or so.


Spread a good amount of icing onto your base. This will act as the "glue" that will stick your house to the base.
 

I like to start with one of the sides and the back, so they can balance on each other. Kind of like building a house of cards. Continue spreading a thin amount of icing on everything you want to stick together. Once the base is built spread icing to the backs of your roof pieces, add them on top.


Time to decorate.


And here's our finished house. We're keeping this one as a decoration, so we added a couple of cute, inedible touches.
 

The decorations, including the adorable sisal trees and wreath, as well as the candy found in this post are from Oriental Trading. 
You can find these items here-

I received items from Oriental Trading. The review is based strictly on my opinion. Others may have a different opinion or experience with the products listed above. I was provided the samples free of charge by the company or PR agency and I provided my honest opinion. No other type of compensation was received for this review.

Happy Decorating xo
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment